Monday, March 12, 2012

Mammoth

I apologize for the such a late update on this Mammoth post. I had Greek Week and Monte Carlo to keep me busy all week long. More on that in future entries... hopefully those will be up soon!

I went to Mammoth with my friend Amy and her family. Actually, we didn't even snowboard nor stayed in Mammoth. We snowboarded at June mountain and stayed in June's little nonexistence town. I have never even heard of June therefore I refer to this trip as "Mammoth." June is just a half hour away from Mammoth. Hence, this trip is called MAMMOTH. It's not like we didn't go to Mammoth at all, we actually went and got a mini tour of Mammoth from Amy's dad on our last day. So technically, I did go to Mammoth. Hehe.

I never knew Mammoth/June was so far away from Fullerton. I have always thought it was like an hour and a half away, two max. But no, it took us 6 hours with an hour dinner break, a few gas stops and bathroom breaks. Holy crap, it was like driving to Stockton. Except it seemed so much longer. We didn't get there until about 9p.m. I slept most of the way, I was lucky enough to get the whole back seat of the SUV to myself. We pulled up to our cabin and unloaded the stuff. I showered and went to bed since we had to get up really early the next day. I woke up to the smell of pancakes. Of course it took me like an hour to get ready, so I didn't get to have any pancakes. Amy brought me a bowl of cereal for breakfast, didn't get to finish that either. Eventually, I was all geared up and ready to go! Before we left Fullerton, I went out to invest in a few things. I left all of my snowboard gear back in NorCal, so I had to get new pants. It's almost towards the end of the season, so a lot of things were on sale. I found these hot pink snowboard pants for $40 in youth... IN YOUTH! Everything is so much cheaper in youth. I'm very blessed to be a tiny girl to fit in youth pants! Then I got some black under armour. I was planning on renting boots at June but boots were on sale here, so I decided to finally invest in boots. I got these white/mint green Lamar snowboarding boots for $40 also. What a steal! They're so cute. I didn't have to worry about snowboards or bindings because Amy had some extra boards for me. Phew, less I have to pay for. I'm probably going to invest in a board soon, maybe at the end of the season when everything goes on sale. So ya, all geared up!



It's funny because pink is not our color at all. I actually don't prefer pink and Amy absolutely hate pink. It's a good color to snowboard in though, easily to spot. We were the only ones wearing pink that day. We were REALLY easy to spot. Haha. We bought our lift tickets at Costco so it was a lot cheaper. $50. That isn't bad at all. A lift ticket for Mammoth would've cost us $95. Insanely expensive. That's a part of the reason why we didn't snowboard at Mammoth. Anyway, got there right when it opened at 8a.m. People weren't there yet so we got the whole mountain to ourselves.
The weather was pretty much perfect. High in the 50s. We didn't need to wear our jackets after about 2 runs. Amy and I did a total of 15 runs. That's the most I've ever done in one day. I tried to do jumps for the first time ever. It was so thrilling! I don't even know where I got the courage to do so. I fell numerous of times but also landed a few. Amy recorded a video of me where I ate it. All you can see is my board in the air. haha, but man, that jump was probably the craziest. I flew so high, falling didn't even faze me (gosh I sound so hood saying that). I also tried to learn carving. At one time, I hit my head so hard that my goggles and beanie came off. Still, I kept trying like a champ! I can go down the mountain and heel perfectly. The only thing left to be mastered is carving. Hopefully I can get that down soon! We went all day from 8a.m.-4p.m. with an hour of lunch break. That was probably one of the best trips I have ever done. I really liked June. Though the slopes were machine groomed, it was close to perfect. After that we went and got ice cream (that goes to show how perfect the weather was). Then Amy's dad made a spaghetti/weenie dog dinner. 

The next morning, we packed up and left the cabin. Some decided to snowboard Mammoth mountains, we on the other hand decided to have a snow day. We built a snowman and went sledding. It was the first snowman I've ever built! It was as tall as Amy. I accessorized it with my scarf and beanie. The guys put boobs on it. So we named it Maud Jones (a founder of ZTA). haha, so inappropriate. Here she is... 





Then we left. On the way home, we stopped at a few places. 1) Mammoth. 2) Convict Lake (it was a camp ground in the middle of nowhere. There's a lake there that was formed by melted glaciers).



We also stopped in this fish place and fed some trouts and this lava sand place (it was pretty cool).

It was a great little vacation. I needed it bad. Then it was back to sunny Southern California. Back to 80 degrees weather in the middle of winter. I miss the snow. Anyway, so that was it. I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment